Monday, November 1, 2010

Zurich, Switzerland

11.1.10
Zurich, Switzerland.  Funny how we left one of the newest and wealthiest countries in the world on the way to one of the most ancient and traditional regions of the world, by way of one of Europe’s old yet modern countries.  My wife, Christine, would say that they are probably the most advanced civilizations on the planet simply because of the large role that chocolate plays in their society.  How is it that the Swiss are so fit yet chocolate is so prominent here?  I think that they make it to distribute to foreigners and that they don’t actually eat it.  Or, perhaps its all those strenuous national pastimes, like mountain climbing, hiking, and watch making.

What a beautiful country!  I watched about 2 hours worth of Swiss tourism films on the flight from JFK.  I’m sold.  Christine and I loved our brief foray into southern Switzerland when we ventured to Italy last year.  I thought it was the stark contracts between the cultures that was evidenced by their respective train systems, but then again I had forgotten the beautiful scenery.  We must come back here.  Surely there are some mission opportunities here!  Well, maybe just a pleasure trip.  There are mission opportunities everywhere every day.  Right?
An irony in the newsstand reminds me of the narrow-minded fluency of our American culture.  Seems the rest of the world appreciates (and probably more readily needs) the ability to speak other languages.  The Swiss are partial to French and German, and of course speak English for those of us who don’t bother to learn their languages.  Anyway, there was a magazine in the airport newsstand about the Holy Land.  A beautiful, glossy edition devoted exclusively to the history and archeology of the region – including Egypt.  Or, at least that is all I could make of it.  It was in German.
I have also been reminded of how spoiled we are.  Of course, it doesn’t take much to be reminded of that.  I was envious at JFK of the flights leaving directly for Cairo and Tel Aviv.  I was also frustrated when I saw a Delta flight arriving here in Zurich from Atlanta.  Afterall, we flew from Birmingham to Atlanta to JFK to Zurich, and now on to Cairo.  How inefficient!  But, then again, how amazing that we can travel half way around the world so quickly.  Our flight from JFK was only a little over 6 hours long.  Wow.
Oh well.  I don’t know the connection between the Swiss obsession with clocks and time pieces (Swatch and Rolex have facilities here) and chocolate, but it could be that it enables them to know when its time to eat some more.  Tobulene.  I think its time for some more.

1 comment:

  1. Bring me home some chocolate and a Rolex or just some chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete